Can you go to college without a high school diploma or GED?

College graduates celebrate outdoors and hug their phones in the air.

Ariel Skelly/Digital Vision/Getty Images

Have you ever wondered if you can go to college without a high school diploma? Could you!

To welcome non-traditional students, schools across the country have introduced specialized admissions processes, programs, and secondary equivalencies.

Here, we examine the pathways and opportunities available to you. We look at what you need to qualify for admission to a traditional undergraduate degree program and what alternatives you can pursue.

Most colleges require a high school diploma or HSE for admission, but students who do not have these have options. Some schools allow you to demonstrate your academic abilities in other ways, such as by taking an assessment or placement test.

Schools may also accept students who plan to work towards a high school diploma or HSE during enrollment. Accepted students without a high school diploma or HSE may be limited to specific programs.

Your Options: How to get into college without a high school diploma

Enroll in a college that does not require a high school diploma or HSE.

Not every school requires a high school diploma or HSE for admission.

At some colleges, non-traditional applicants can gain admission by completing an academic skills assessment or placement test. Candidates must have adequate scores on these exams, which shows that they are able to thrive in the college programme.

Choosing this route can save you time by not having to complete a GED or drop out of high school early. However, you can only qualify for federal financial aid under special circumstances without a diploma or GED.

Enroll in a community college.

Admission requirements vary between community colleges, but some schools accept applicants without a high school diploma or GED as long as they are over 18.

Usually, you still need to pass a placement test to qualify for admission.

Community colleges may also offer career or career path programs that accept applicants without a diploma or GED. Following these methods can result in you joining the workforce more quickly.

To qualify for federal financial aid, however, students typically need a high school diploma or GED.

Enroll in an adult high school.

Adult high schools allow learners to earn a high school diploma, which will help them qualify for college admissions and federal financial aid. Program requirements vary but may include a minimum age of 18 and a minimum of high school credits.

These programs are useful because they award accredited high school diplomas quickly. Many schools offer low or even cost free programs and flexible scheduling options, such as asynchronous online classes.

Apply to college as a student not pursuing a degree and taking classes.

Students who do not have a high school diploma or GED may be able to take classes as non-degree students. Many schools allow learners to take a certain number of courses without submitting transcripts.

You can use this training for personal or professional enrichment, or to qualify for a college degree.

Typically, non-degree students do not qualify for federal financial aid. It may also be limited to courses for which there are no mandatory prerequisites.

Finally, schools tend to defer admission of non-degree students until all traditional students are enrolled, limiting the class options available.

Continue dual/simultaneous recording.

Colleges may offer dual or concurrent enrollment opportunities to current high school students or learners pursuing a GED. For admission, prospective students need proof of high school enrollment or a GED program. Applicants may need to be within a certain number of credits or hours from graduation to qualify.

Concurrent enrollment programs give you a head start on your college training. While students may not qualify for federal financial aid, many schools waive the cost of training or offer significantly reduced rates.

Take and pass the GED exam.

One of the most popular ways for students without a high school diploma to qualify for college admissions is to pass the GED test.

Candidates must be over 16 years old and not currently enrolled in high school. The GED includes four exams: Math, Science, Logical Language Arts, and Social Studies.

Before trying the test, you can take GED courses and practice tests. Test takers can complete tests in parts or all at once at an approved test center or online. Depending on your results, you may meet the criteria for college readiness or even qualify for college credit.

Take and pass the HiSET exam.

Like the GED exam, the HiSET It is the equivalent of a high school diploma that can qualify you for admission to college.

To take the test, candidates must meet the age requirements of their state and not be enrolled in high school.

The HiSET test has five sections: Language Arts, Mathematics, Writing, Science, and Social Studies. The test takes approximately seven hours. You can take HiSET courses and practice exams before taking the exam.

the majority Online colleges accept FAFSAMost students benefit from federal aid. according to Federal Student AidHowever, students only qualify if they have a high school diploma or GED, except under certain conditions.

You may, for example, qualify for assistance if you attend an accredited home school. You may also complete at least six credit hours in the career path program.

Alternatives to College Admission – No high school diploma or GED needed.

College may not be suitable for everyone. The alternatives below allow you to get career and personal development training without attending a traditional college.

Enroll in a vocational or vocational school.

Trade or vocational schools often have flexible admission requirements, making them a good alternative for applicants who do not have a high school diploma or GED.

These schools and programs focus on work-based training and practical preparation for trade school jobssuch as welding, cosmetology and massage therapy.

Trade schools offer quick and direct access to jobs and reduce student debt. On the other hand, software and career flexibility can be limited.

Get certificates or certificates online.

while both Certificates and Certificates They can be rather useful alternatives and lead to employment, the credentials are quite different.

Certificates are intensive training programs from colleges and universities that cover majors.

Conversely, certifications recognize the professional’s training and field experience and may be required for practice.

You qualify for many degrees and certificates without a high school diploma or GED. You may even be able to access Free Online Courses With Certificatesincluding IT and Business courses.

Leave a Comment